Sunday, July 15, 2012

Anchorage, Alaska July 6, 2012






Today was a gorgeous sunny day and our warmest at 66 degrees. Kristy started the day seeing the sights of Anchorage which included the Alaska Native Heritage Center were she gathered historical information for class. She finished the day doing a guided stroll through Chugach National Forest. I started my day with a one hour scenic drive to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Here I got up close and personal with brown and black bear, musk ox, bald eagles, moose, caribou, lynx, deer and a few other native animals.  The highlight was watching the brown bears play together and standing up on hind legs right in front of me. From here I boarded a boat to cruise out to the Portage glacier. The naturalist on board described glaciers as we enjoyed the beautiful mountains and waterfalls.  When we arrived at the glacier they told us to watch for calving. The boat captain said he thought one part was about to break off.  I videoed that spot and sure enough it did fall off right in front of us. It was a wonderful day full of animals and nature's beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment